Thursday, February 17, 2011

"I Put My Foot In My Mouth!"

Several years ago a dear friend of mine, that writes devotionals for this blog spot, also, gave me a precious 5'by7' picture frame with a beautiful picture and scripture in it. The scripture was from Proverbs 17:17a, "A friend loves at all times..." This friend's job sent her to Kuwait a couple of years ago and I sent the picture framed saying back with her. She returned back to the states and was supposed to give me the frame back, but forgot. She returned to Kuwait last month and I had casually told her when she returns we could exchange the friendship frame again! This frame has took on a special meaning for me. My dear friend and I have been special friends for over40 years. We have talked together, cried together, laughed together, went to Ladies retreats, went to the movies together, and had many fun times together! I hope this special friend remembers all these times when I share the rest of this devotional and know that my mouth just got overloaded and that I am still a work in progress and that we all make mistakes!
Last night at the Awana Bible Club Closing, I am the commander of Awana, I was telling that next week would be God & Country Night! They were to bring a card or letter of appreciation to Awana so that we could mail these to someone in the military. My friend, who goes to our church, and as I said before, is in Kuwait, and writes for this blog spot, also, is not in the military, but has gone to Kuwait with her job and is around soldiers. So I thought we would send the cards & letters to her and she could share them with the soldiers. THIS IS WHERE MY MOUTH OVERLOADED!!!! I told the Awana clubbers she is not in the military, but she wears SKIVVIES, like the military does!! After the closing our Pastor & Deacon were laughing with me and asking what she was wearing again? They were asking me if I said skimpy or bikini or what? I still said you know what those military wear, Skivvies or whatever you call them! I loaded up to come home and on the way home it came to me the word I should have used was "Fatigues!" Oh, what had I said! I wasn't even sure what "scivvies" meant! I looked it up, it was TRADEMARK UNDERWEAR!!!! I WAS SO EMBARRASSED!!! I had said this in front of the whole Awana closing ceremony! Needless, to say next week when the kids turn in their cards I will tell the kids thank you for the beautiful cards & letters that will be sent to Mrs. Kathy, who wears military "FATIGUES''!
I am so glad that I have another friend, Jesus, that looked beyond my faults and saw my need for a Savior! In the Bible it tells us in Romans 3:23, "For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God." God saw our need and gave His son, Jesus, to die for our sin! I trusted Jesus as my Savior at the age of 10, was saved by His wonderful grace, and I am still a work in progress with the Lord. Daily growing in Him and depending on Him to lead me!
Just as I said the wrong word last night in describing what my friend wore, which was not intended in a wrong or hurtful way, WORDS can be hurtful, tho! How often do we get upset and say things we don't mean? It is easy to apologize for our words; however, they can never truly be taken back. Sometimes we need to take a moment, hold our tongue and seek His wisdom before we continue speaking! We need to ask ourselves are these words "True, Necessary, & Kind?" Here are two scriptures from the Proverbs to share on words, Proverbs 21:23 says, "He who guards his mouth and his tongue keeps himself from calamity." It tells us in Proverbs 10:19, "When words are many, sin is absent, but he who holds his tongue is wise." My prayer is Psalm 19:14, "May the words of my mouth be holy and acceptable to thee in they sight!"
My dear & precious friend, Kathy, I pray for your safety and I thank God for our long friendship and pray that you forgive me for saying you wear Scivvies! I guess my brain went on recess when I said this! I love you, girl! Praise the Lord for good friends!

2 comments:

  1. Oh Beverly! Thank you so much for the belly laugh! Believe me when I say I badly needed that today. I love it. And I love you, my lifetime friend and sister! Shall I take a picture of myself in my skivvies and send to you to share with the AWANA kids? I guess not.. but, you could show them some of the pictures I have posted on facebook if you like. I am really looking forward to receiving the cards! I will share them with some of the soldiers that I run into. And thanks so much for the prayers. The place where I work and the people I work with are in dire need of continuous prayers. As am I.
    Be blessed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh... and I'm not wearing a uniform this time around... just my jeans and t-shirts...They don't want us wearing the uniform here. But I was proud to have the privilege of wearing it before. However, I do wear skivvies (LOL!) Hope you do too!

    ReplyDelete