Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Washing Machine Treasures

Tonight was Awana. Wednesdays are always chaotic at my house. It just does not seem to matter how prepared a get the day before or what I do the day of. When it comes time to get ready kids start squalling, shoes are eaten by the "NO Where" monster, Awana books hide themselves in drawers and socks mysteriously jump and run from the drawers. When we finally get to church (which by the way if you don't know the parsonage is in the church parking lot), I am fifteen minutes late and look like I have walked through a tornado. I usually have a screaching two year old and two rowdy boys and one stressed 8 year daughter all in tow. Somehow we make it and they have the time of their lives.....Then it's time to come come. This is decompress time, eat a late snack or dinner, bath, and bedtime. They are so wired though that this rarely runs smoothly and sometime after ten they are snuggled into bed FINALLY snoring! I then am free to clean or do laundry (this mountainous task is rarely finished in my household). Tonight I opened the washer to find pieces of plastic kynex, and legos, and 4 quarters (my oldest son's pay-off for his first tooth). I couldn't help but smile! You see walking home accross the parking lot tonight I had noticed that the moon was a perfect smiley face and I had said outloud to the clear sky (and God) "Thank you God for the smiley face tonight - - you know just when I need it". It made my heart glad! The treasure in the washer made me smile too - How precious this time is! Some days I shake my head at the things I find in my washer that my son's pick up to put in their pockets. Tonight however, I could reflect on the fact that Chase was most certainly playing some sort of Transformers game or pretending to be a warrior with his brother - these things meant something special to him at some point today! What little treasures we often overlook in our lives. Take a moment today to enjoy the world through the eyes of a child. Slow down and let God show you little treasures to store in your pockets for the day - - then let them go and find new ones for tomorrow. Tucked safely and tightly into bed I know Chase has no memory of the things he left in his pockets today, and tomorrows wash load will reveal the treasures of that day. Don't hold too tightly of the things of today that you can't pick up or see the blessings and treasures of tomorrow. For God has spoken in his word that his blessing are fresh each day!

2 comments:

  1. Bella and I saw God's smile too on the way home!
    ~Marni

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Abbie... I love the blog!
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete